Note: This page describes a legacy product or book. The page is available for archival purposes and as a courtesy to those who have linked to it, but is no longer being updated or maintained.
Win32 API Puzzle Book and Tutorial
Learn to handle any API call from VB6
Part I - The Puzzles
- In the Beginning - Part 1 Intro
- Puzzle #1 - Where Oh Where is that API Call?
- Puzzle #2 - The Last Error
- Puzzle #3 - Poly Want a Cracker?
- Puzzle #4 - It's all in the Name.
- Puzzle #5 – Finding the Executable
- Puzzle #6 – ICON Fix This One
- Puzzle #7 – Supercharged Graphics
- Puzzle #8 - Playing Leapfrog
- Feeling comfortable? - Intro to slightly more complex
- Puzzle #9 – Translating DEVMODE
- Puzzle #10 – Environmentally Speaking
- Puzzle #11 – Registry Games, Part I
- Puzzle #12 – Registry Games, Part II
- Puzzle #13 – Registry Games, Part III
- Puzzle #14 – Registry Games, Part IV
- Puzzle #15 – What TimeZone is it?
- Puzzle #16 - Serially Speaking
- In the groove - Advanced
- Puzzle #17 – The DEVMODE is in the Details
- Puzzle #18 – DT Phone Home
- Puzzle #19 - The RASDIALPARAMS structure
- Puzzle #20 – Making Connections
- Puzzle #21 - What is that Mapped Drive? Part 1
- Puzzle #22 – What is that Mapped Drive? Part 2
- Puzzle #23 – There is a Question in There Somewhere.
- Puzzle #24 - Callback That String
- OLE Smoke!
- Puzzle #25 – Universal Identifiers I
- Puzzle #26 – Universal Identifiers II
- Puzzle #27 – Universal Identifiers III
- Puzzle #28 – Drawing OLE Objects
- Rocket Science
- Puzzle #29 - What do you do when it mega hurts?
- Puzzle #30 - FileOperations I
- Puzzle #31 - FileOperation II
- Puzzle #32 – Animating Rectangles
Part II - The Solutions
- Solution for each of the puzzles in part I.
Part III - The Tutorials
- Tutorial 1 - Finding Functions
- Tutorial 2: Memory, where it all begins.
- Tutorial 3 - A Bool and its Bitfields are Soon Parted
- Tutorial 4: How DLL Calls work - Inside a stack frame
- Tutorial 5: The ByVal keyword - The solution to 90% of all API problems.
- Tutorial 6 - C++ Variables Meet Visual Basic
- Tutorial 7 - Classes, Structures and User Defined Types
- Tutorial 8 - Porting C header files
- Tutorial 9 - Inside A DLL File - Exploring the DumpInfo program.
- Tutorial 10 – A Case Study – The Service API
- Tutorial 11 – A Case Study – Reading the Event Log
- Appendix A – Hints
- Appendix B – FAQ
- Appendix C – APIGID32.DLL Reference